HOME! is inviting applications for the position of the Alliance Coordinator. This role involves keeping the HOME! Core Team, Steering Committee and working groups organised, responsive to geoengineering and facilitates the flow of information.
As the coordinator, you will gain an in-depth understanding of geoengineering critique to play an active role in network internal organizing, capacity building, supporting organisations to participate in political conversations and proceedings, and helping deliver strategic outputs of the HOME Alliance.The job is a mix of internal organization tasks and external affairs, with lots of variation. You will support the HOME Alliance to strengthen its membership structures and expand as an alliance. Within the role, you will be supported by the core team to get used to the role and issue during your time as HOME Coordinator, and receive handover documentation on how to approach different tasks.
The Hands Off Mother Earth! (HOME!) Alliance is a global alliance composed of international civil society, Indigenous Peoples and environmental organizations that also work with front-line communities, grassroots organisations, Indigenous Peoples, lawyers and scientists, to monitor and challenge solar, marine and land-based geoengineering proposals and projects.
The steering committee includes organizations such as the Heinrich Böll Foundation, ETC Group, Indigenous Environmental Network, Health Of Mother Earth Foundation, Climate Justice Alliance, Centre for International Environmental Law, Biofuelwatch, WhatNext? and Friends of the Earth International. Over 200 organisations support the HOME alliance manifesto, opposing geoengineering as a false “solution”. Many organisations actively contribute to HOME’s numerous thematic and regional working groups. HOME engages and participates in international policy discussions, and works closely with other networks advocating for climate justice.
The successful candidate will:
- Be committed to advocating for climate justice and have some experience of movement organising/ civil society alliances,
- Have an understanding and experience of coordination or/and organising or/and project management,
- Have an understanding (if possible, experience) of strategy and organisational development for civil society alliances,
- Be comfortable working online with international colleagues,in different time zones,
- Be able to travel internationally (approx. 1-2 times a year), for regional or international events,
- (Desirable) Have a general understanding of international fora and climate talks,
- (Preferred) Have experience in fundraising and engaging with funders.
- The preferred candidate can be based anywhere in the world. The Global South is preferred.
- The role is a part-time freelance contract averaging up to 3 days/week.
- The rate of pay will be based on location and experience, starting at €230/day.
- The initial contract will last till the end of 2023 (due to administrative reasons).
- The collaboration can be renewed at the end of the contract.
- We aim for a multi-year collaboration. Working language: English. Knowledge of French and/or Spanish are an advantage.
- Working hours should be compatible for international collaboration.
How to apply
Applicants can send:
- A max 300 word statement explaining why you want the job
- and CV (with two references)
to coordinator (at) handsoffmotherearth.org
DEADLINE: Open until filled
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview. If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to provide a writing sample. The Steering Committee will review candidates on a case by case basis.